The Academy Performance A & B TEAMS train year-round with full-time coaches. These athletes travel provincially, nationally and internationally in a competitive stream to earn spots at Junior Nationals, Nationals, FIS events, NOR-AMS, AFP ranked events World Cups and ultimately the national team. Our A TEAMS involve of some of the best athletes from provinces across Canada in Ontario, Alberta and BC in camp-based specialized programs, working towards earning a spot on their respective national teams. The A TEAMs organize a schedule consisting of training camps, testing sessions and competitions to train and compete according to the yearly training plan outlined by the head coach and approved by the Academy staff.
The B TEAMS are centralized, multi-disciplinary programs consisting of slopestyle skiing and snowboarding, and moguls. The B TEAMS ensure that athletes accomplish fundamental skills recognized by our A TEAM and national team coaches. The Freeski B TEAM will push for Junior National spots in freestyle skiing and enter into AFP Bronze and Silver competitions to commence their AFP ranking. The Snowboard B TEAM will compete provincially at ASA provincials, Nationals and local rail jams.
The Academy Performance Teams have priority access to all of our facilities and use them to maximize their experience and progression.
- Indoor trampoline centre with black bed, fly bed and foam pit.
- 2 winter airbags sites – one advanced, one intermediate.
- An outdoor summer airbag ramp.
- The Bob Niven Training Centre (BNTC).
- Multiple terrain park venues built to coach’s exact specifications.
- Locker room (for all non-camp based athletes).
- 3 terrain parks including 22 ft halfpipe and advanced jump line.
- Multiple mogul training venues built to coach’s exact specification and World Cup mogul course.
- Includes a yearly training plan (YTP) created by the coach and reviewed by the Academy staff.
- WinSport supports its Academy coaches through numerous initiatives designed to creating some of the best coaches in the world. The National Coaching Institute (NCI) is one aspect of our coaching education programs provided.
- The coaches are all challenged and supported by an entire organization and a professional Academy staff.
- WinSport Academy programs are driven by the physical literacy principles provided by Dr. Stephen Norris (Chief Officer of Sport, WinSport)
- Is integrated with National Sport Organizations (NSO) and their long term athlete development plan which provides an elite athlete/coach pathway.
- Includes weekly acrobatic trampoline training.
- Utilize air bag, on snow terrain parks and other training venues.
- Provides dryland and athlete services provided by the Canadian Sport Institute (CSI)
- Provides up to date technical coaching and mentoring available year-round
- Provides the athlete with a comprehensive profile with multiple evaluations (non-camp based program only).
- Will provide all resources and services athletes and coaches need to run a world-class program.
- To compete at Provincial and Alberta Club/local events.
- Attend national events such as the Canadian Open Tour, Shield, Snowcrown, and SR. Nationals.
- Attend international events such as FIS NorAm’s, World Cups and AFP Bronze-Platinum ranked events such as Whistler’s WSI
- To develop well-rounded athletes with fundamental acrobatic and technical skills according to each sports’ LTAD plans and the Canadian Sport for Life Model. We prepare athletes for their next step in skiing/snowboarding careers.
- To communicate and participate with the national team programs and coaching staff.
- To inspire athletes to value and respect sport, training, coaches and competition.
- To earn life skills through sport.